It was the week before work was suppossed to resume. I was still dealing with the aftermath of my accident and now the reality of being stressed out again was quickly dawning on me. My cell phone rang. It was a man that knew my name. He requested a meeting with me at my workplace to discuss the deductions of my check and matters along the lines of 401ks. I didn’t make anything concrete as far as plans and decided to deal with it later. Later came.

I had just finished a four hour meeting and was quite aggravated by an insurance company that was bullying me in addition to a referral company that felt the need to contact me about them possibly making money off my misfortune. My assigned space wasn’t even available to talk to anyone and I had to move to my coworker’s room. I tried to avoid the meeting and finally succumbed. My cell bill was lowered. I didn’t fork over any information as far as bank accounts but did agree to listen to the full presentation at a later date. In the meantime, I had to meet a friend on the other side of town whom was awaiting me. The coming weeks began to change everything.

The first week back at work was surreal. Here I was again. I had taken my lavender plant to work and a plate of crystals to help ease my tense atmosphere. I was willing to try anything to stay positive about my somber predicament. Phone calls to my cell went unanswered as I would sink into oblivion from sheer exhaustion after work. The schedule finally got into full swing, and I realized that the full presentation at a later date was not in the cards for me. Especially since I was considering changes in my life. When my coworker called, the first red flag was thrown down.

She said that the 40lk guy wanted to talk to me about something important. I knew that he was standing next to her trying to get her to convince me to talk to him. The truth of the matter was that I was about to start yet another block on my schedule and there was no way that I was about to broach anything important with anyone. The next day, I explained the situation to her. She informed me that he wanted to know if I sounded sincere with my current happenings. The second flag was thrown down.

My mind started to wonder how these individuals got a hold of my number to begin with. My personal information is suppossed to be confidential. Furthermore, if your product is so great, why do you feel the need to ambush people at work when they have just finished dealing with everything and need a minute to breathe? I certainly do not need to discuss financial matters in such a wide open forum. Who is this man to question my co-worker on my life?

I realize that I do need to take responsibility for having a change of heart and not expressing that. However, I have taken the time to analyze the entire situation and wish to present it as a lesson for myself.

It is easy for me to know when there are going to be periods of time (for the most part) that are not great for me as far as functioning: menstral cycle, Mercury in Retrograde, certain times of the year at work. These are not times in my life when extra things should be on my plate or even presented to me. However, this has taught me that there needs to be a buffer around the times for those pesky things that will fall through the crevices and simply clog the plumbing system of my life. Under the circumstances which I was facing a month ago, there was no way that a financial decision should have been entertained. Furthermore, given the tactics that have been employed during this small ordeal, it is not in my best interest to be involved with this company. It would be wise of me to question anyone that wants to make it easy for me to part with my hard earned money. What is in it for them? Why are these men constantly showing up at the workplace trying to convince people to do this? I shrink away, off to my next appointment….

I took responsibility for the fact that I never voiced my change of heart. I contacted the proper associate and informed him of my decision not to move forward. Approximately ten minutes later, his supervisor calls to nicely manipulate me into another meeting. I said that such a gathering was impossible because I was dealing with issues. That wasn’t good enough. I politely interrupted and said that my hellatious day had led to neck pain that had now consumed my head once again and I couldn’t reach my doctor to resolve the issue; this conversation was something that I could not deal with right now. That still wasn’t good enough. What am I going to do next you ask me? Its simple.

The fact that someone else has to make a comission off the fact that I may write a check is not in the cards for me nor does it serve my purpose. The sooner that I release this situation and approach it differently, it may not bring as much annoyance to me. After all, I did get myself into this and it is left to me to get myself out of this. I shall contact my phone company shortly to block these numbers from contacting me in the future. The next step is to inform my boss that I am being harassed at work by people that somehow have access to the property. If approached physically, which I have been forewarned of, a firm no shall be executed.
These men have been trained in the art of manipulation as if they are doing me a favor because they truly want to help me. This is something that I shall remember when dealing with this in the future.